Friday, 28 January 2011

Thoughts?

Okay all, having been into the labs earlier it's evident that we're falling behind- but no need to panic. I can't get Unreal working on my PC with any real success so I've been having to go into uni to follow tutorials- but it's not been very time effecient. I've been down to the Queens earlier on and have taken a shit load of reference images of the various rooms and assets- so I'm going to sort those out- I'm also going to try doing a rough Studio Max blockout that can be imported into Unreal.

If anyone is having any scale issues (and no, I don't mean like a skin problem), if you go into Studio Max and go to Tools/Grids and snaps/Grids and snaps settings then click on the Home Grid tab and change the Grid Spacing to 16- this will make each square a foot long in Unreal terms. Stacking 6 grid sized cubes on top of one another will be an average character size. Unfortunately unless we take a tape measure in and measure every single wall (as it seems some groups have done) we'll have to eyeball it. Luckily I don't think it has to bee 100% correct... but it'll still need to look like the Queens building.

With any luck I'll be able to some more concept artwork tomorrow and maybe a bit more on Sunday night after work. What's that? Another all nighter? Oh, whoopee doo! Anyway, can we all let each other know what we're doing just so we don't all spend too long making Unreal levels? Thankyou and goodnight.

11 comments:

  1. I have unreal working and i have grasped it well, i just need reference images and i can build it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What reference do you need? Blue prints and stuff? Tell me whatcha need and I'll see if I can get a hold of it for you. If it moves or can be interacted with, don't build it in Unreal- we'll import it with Studio Max.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok. i need blue prints for measurements and just a few reference images to get the feel of the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Concept pics? Hmmm... I'll get round to doing some of those tomorrow (Probably tonight though thinking about it...) I'm working on some blue prints as I type so bare with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Other than the ones me and Berris have posted already- err... yes. I'm also doing that as I type... I can multitask (No I can't). I'm currently fixing the colour on them 'cos the lighting's made everything green. I've taken absolutely loads for various assets but I think there's a few of some of the rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, my blue prints are slightly altered to what we talked about last... I've added the extra stairwell at the end of the corridor (the one where the lift is)- our map is tiny compared to some of the other. But if you don't like what I've done (which I'll explain in the document) then just follow the plans as normal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The actual blueprints are wrong in most areas, its only a rough outline i had to go in today to look at the actual bulding structure. Atm im currently working on a blockout in max to the best scale possible but i forgot to change the unit scale for unreal. im also about to download the udk and attempt to make a working model with that and max. On tues ideally we want a working blockout if possible then we need to start cracking on with the enviroment and making an asset list. I think also we should ignore any dealings with sound effects or anything other than the environment cos its not that important right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed- we can have fun with sound effects later (if possible) for now, it's gotta look awesome. I've scribbled down some potential assets to do as well (I also have photos of them as I mentioned) so I'll whack 'em on to the file share site (I've got nearly 300 pics).

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome dude ima whack up mine aswell in a min so we can just use bits for an asset list etc.

    ReplyDelete